Baby, it’s cold outside…grab your slow cooker!
This easy slow cooker pot roast is sure to melt in your mouth. It is warm. comforting, and perfect for a winter evening next to the fireplace. This is one of my favorite meals. I enjoy it over egg noodles, or creamy mashed potatoes (omit the baby yukon golds if you serve over mashed potatoes). And of course, the meal is not complete without a glass of red. I recommend a glass of Marcel Malbec.
Fresh vegetables make this pot roast a well rounded one pot meal. It is a crowd pleaser on many levels. For me, because I can prep in the morning, toss it into the slow cooker and go about my day. It makes the entire house smell like home. And because I am a teacher, I always make this on a snow day. I make a special trip to the store the night before to get all of the ingredients. The anticipation of a day at home in my jammies with the smell of pot roast in the background is a wonderful thing. And on the very sad occasion that I wake up to only a two hour delay, or even worse, I have to go to work at the normal time, I find myself in a deep depression. And then I quickly bounce back when I remind myself that in the summer, every day is a snow day. Ok…back to pot roast.
Easy slow cooker pot roast is sure to knock your socks off!
I recommend browning the meat before putting it into the slow cooker. Of course, if time is of the essence, you can always throw the meat in the slow cooker without browning it. But if you have the extra ten minutes, please brown the meat. It will taste better. Remember, brown food equals delicious food.
You can change up the veggies that you put in this dish. Feel free to add squash or turnips instead of potatoes. You can also add celery to give the flavor an extra boost. Green beans would be delicious and you can substitute cipollini onions instead of a whole onion. Use your imagination and enjoy!
Slow Cooker Pot Roast with Vegetables
Prep time: 25 minutes
Cook time: 5 hours
Bottom round rump roast (4-5 pounds)
1/3 cup flour
Freshly ground black pepper
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 small yellow onion
16 ounces baby carrots
1 1/2 pounds baby yukon gold potatoes
8 ounces cremini mushrooms
3 cloves garlic
4 cups beef broth
1/3 cup soy sauce
2 tablespoons tomato paste
2 tablespoons chopped rosemary
2 tablespoons chopped parsley
2 tablespoons butter, softened
2 tablespoons flour
- Season the pot roast generously with salt and pepper. Coat the roast with flour, shaking off excess flour.
- Heat the olive oil in a large cast iron skillet. Brown the pot roast on all sides, about 3-4 minutes each side. Transfer to the slow cooker.
- Cut the potatoes and mushrooms in half and put in the slow cooker, along with the carrots and three cloves of garlic. Quarter the onion and add into the slow cooker. Chop the rosemary and parsley and add into the slow cooker. Add the beef broth, soy sauce and tomato paste into the slow cooker.
- Cook on high for 5 hours (or low for 8).
- When the roast is done, remove to a large platter, along with the vegetables.
- In a medium sauce pan, mix the butter and flour. Cook about 2 minutes.
- Add the liquids from the slow cooker into the sauce pan with the butter and flour mixture. Whisk until the gravy reaches the desired consistency.
- Serve over egg noodles. You may also serve over mashed potatoes (in that case, omit the baby yukon golds from the recipe).